This article looks at the CGIAR centers that have research activities in Africa and their partners. The summary is drawn from the CGIAR research map in Africa which is an online project repository of the CGIAR projects in the region.
There are a total of 830 different partners collaborating with the centers which have been broadly categorised into 11 partner types.
- Advanced Research Institute (ARI)
- Community Based Organisation (CBO)
- Development Organization – UN and international organization
- International Agricultural Research Centers (IARC)
- National Agriculture Research System (NARS) – NARI and NARO
- Non Governmental Organisation (NGO)
- Private sector – seed sectors, farmers, farmer organization / communities etc
- Regional and Sub-Regional Organization
- Others – Agricultural Development Programs (ADP)
Although there are variations in individual centers majority of the centers reported to be partnering the most with NARS (26%), Universities (18%) and IARC (11%) and least with ARI (4%), Development Organization – UN and international organization (4%) and CBO (2).